Friday, July 30, 2010

Portrait of a Retired Person

 

Today I joined the ranks of the retired.  It was not an easy thing to do, because I had been performing my job for quite a few years, and there are many things about it that I will miss.  I will be forever thankful for the work I was given to do and the people with whom I worked.


It was time to retire, though.  I look forward to morning walks and afternoon naps.  If I get up at 5 am, it will be because I choose to get up then.  In high school I was known as an artist.  It's time to be an artist again.  Once an English major, always an English major, there are books to read and hopefully things to write about.  There are sewing projects.   There is a house that needs better feng shui.  There are grown children and growing grandchildren to visit.  There are national parks to explore.  It is possible that I will do better about cooking.  Next winter when there is snow and ice, I will be comfortably at home in my sweat pants.


This is something of a big change in my life...  we shall see how it all unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Mary! if you want to wake up at 5 am then you should wake up at 5 am! And if you want to wear cool t-shirts like the one in the picture, well then keep on wearing them! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, Congratulations on your retirement! You are truly one of my all time favorite co-workers (and friends).

    Let's do lunch sometime to celebrate! I missed the last KMC get-together to have a baby... poor timing. :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete